The public has access to a wealth of census information, SEMCOG data, reports and data sets for Macomb County and its municipalities. The links below will lead you to most of the demographic data available to the public. If you are unable to find demographic data from the links below or need some additional assistance, information requests can be made to the Department in person, in writing, or over the phone.
- Macomb County & Community Demographic Profiles - general overview of the demographics for the county and local municipalities, based on the 2000 U.S. Census.
- The Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG) - hosts a wide variety of data and reports and is the best source to find frequently updated, prepackaged demographic information and studies for Macomb County, our communities and the region:
- SEMCOG's Community Profiles (On all counties and communities in S.E. Michigan)
- Monthly Population and Household Estimates for Macomb County and its Communities (SEMCOG estimates)
- Population and Housing Estimate Report 2000-2006 - This annual report provides tables and discussion of changes in the region's population, households, and household size, and a synopsis of the methodology used to produce the estimates.
- Employment Change 1999-2002 - SEMCOG has produced estimates of place-of-work employment that provide a detailed view of economic change at the community level.
- Residential Building Permit Data- SEMCOG collects and publishes residential building permit information for all 233 communities in Southeast Michigan. Both permit and demolition information are collected for single family, two-family, and multi-family units from 1969 to the most recent previous year.
- Regional Forecasts - SEMCOG's Regional Development Forecasts (RDF) for 2030 and 2035 provide long-range and comprehensive views of future demographic changes, assuming recent trends continue.
- Nonresidential Development Data - SEMCOG reports 10 types of development: entertainment/recreational, hotel, industrial/research/hi-tech, institutional, medical, mixed-use, office, retail/commercial, transportation/utility, and warehouse/distribution
- U.S. Census - Our Department receives and distributes census material as the Local Census Affiliate for Macomb County. The public has access to a library of census information and reports for Macomb County and its municipalities. Information requests can be made in person, in writing or over the phone.
The U.S. Census also provides a number of great web based tools that allow users to easily find demographic information of interest:
- American Fact Finder - Your source for population, housing, economic, and geographic data
- Economic Census - The Economic Census profiles American business every 5 years, from the national to the local level.
- American Community Survey - The American Community Survey (ACS) is a new nationwide survey designed to provide communities a fresh look at how they are changing. The ACS collects information such as age, race, income, commute time to work, home value, veteran status, and other important data from U.S. households
Market Analysis (ESRI Biz) - The Department has access to data on demographics, market segmentation, and consumer spending information for the purpose of site selection, customer analysis, trade area analysis, and target marketing that is available through ESRI Business Information Solutions. Appointments can be made with our business counselor to obtain access to this information.
Southeast Michigan Census Council (SEMCC) - a 501(c) 3 organization dedicated to promoting access to and use of area demographic and related statistics. The group has been active since the 1960's overseeing projects such as:
- Outlining census tract boundaries
- Creating and publishing the Census Tract Coding Guides
- Sponsoring census user’s conferences, workshops and topic luncheons
- Providing networking opportunities for data users
Back to Program/Project Overview Page