Upcoming Local Events
- People, Pets and Vets: Each year, hundreds of children attend People Pets & Vets to see and touch a variety of different animals and to talk to veterinarians and other animal care providers. They learn about farm animals, exotics, including birds and reptiles, zoo and wild animals and pets kept in the home. Most important of all, they learn to respect ALL animals and to provide proper care.
Among the more than thirty exhibits presented each year are dentistry, leader dogs, microchipping, anatomy, surgery, radiology, parasitology, and emergency care. Children also learn about the importance of grooming, the seriousness of obesity, and the significance of lab animals. They experience unusual pets, such as sugar gliders and llamas.
People, Pets and Vets is an extraordinary educational experience for the entire family . . . and an excellent way to create an awareness of the veterinary profession. This FREE Event will be held on November 3rd, 2012 from 11 am to 3 pm at Macomb Community College 44575 Garfield Road, Building E Clinton Township, 48038.
- Michigan 4-H Volunteer Forum: The 2012 4-H Volunteer Forum at Michigan State University on November 10th will showcase Michigan 4-H. Teen and adult leaders will attend hands-on workshops, learn from each other and staff, network, take home resources, leaving renewed and refreshed about MSUE 4-H.
- National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE) High School Financial Planning: FREE training for adults or teachers interested in teaching youth sound money management skills. The training will be held at the Macomb Intermediate School District (MISD) on Monday, November 12th from 8:30 a.m.- 3:00 p.m. To register go to www.misd.net -click on course offerings, click on view by interest, select career and technical education category and hit "go", then click on the session name, click on date to open and complete the registation form. Deadline to register is November 7th. Registration is open to the first 30 people
- Michigan Pre-College and Youth Outreach Conference: This November 19, 2012 conference at Michigan State University will provide practitioners who offer programs for students (primarily 7th to 12th grades) a chance to gather, share information and learn more about the role of postsecondary institutions in preparing Michigan's youth for the future. Others with a vested interest in preparing students for college and careers are also welcome to attend. Topic areas include sharing best practice, assessment and reporting, youth safety policies, serving divers populations, youth development/age-appropriate programming, life skill development, college access/getting kids to think about college as their pathway and how to navigate the process, and innovative and positive change.
Major Events and Programs
- Animal Science: MSU Extension 4-H offers a large variety of expos, shows, and events to families and youth interested in animal science.
- Armada Fair: This week long family event is held annually in August. 4-H youth can enter projects in the fair to be judged. Provides an opportunity to enhance their learning, receive recognition, meet friends, and have fun.
- Capitol Experience: 4-H Capitol Experience is an annual 4-day conference that focuses on civic engagement and public policy. More than 100 teens from around the state converge on Lansing, Michigan, to experience state government in action!
- County Awards: This event is held every January to recognize the accomplishments of 4-H Youth, Volunteers, and Partners. See County Award Forms for more information.
- Exploration Days: Youth age 11 to 19 from across the state participate in over 200 action-packed and fun classes. This three day event is held on MSU campus every June.
- Great Lakes and Natural Resource Camp: 4-H Great Lakes & Natural Resources Camp is an annual MSU pre-college program held in late July or early August on the northern shores of Lake Huron in Presque Isle, Michigan.
- National Congress: Youth aged 15-19 from across the US can attend this premiere conference in Atlanta, Georgia where workshops are offered to enhance leadership and communication skills, expand cultural awareness, explore careers, gain knowledge in science and technology and provide community serve opportunities. This five day Conference is held annually in November.